View Single Post
Old 10-04-02, 02:47 AM   #10
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

I know that my recommendation of not using any FastTrack clients may sound almost harsh to many of you who have enjoyed the fast downloads and the plentiful content in the network - not to talk about you who have put a lot of work into building great utilities and add-ons for the FastTrack clients. It sucks big time to see all this happening - the members of the so far biggest p2p community being treated as shit in the power games of venture capitalists, our online privacy and security being no more than a nice topic in the Orwellian speech of those who are responsible for what has happened.

Those of you interested more in detail in the issue of FastTrack security, read this security analysis by Nicholas Weaver who is a researcher in Berkeley university. Hackers have already read it, you can count on that.

Quote:
Buzz: (hi buzz! )
And shall continue to use Grokster (But I wouldn't touch KaZaA with a 10ft pole)
I wish it was that simple. If you have to choose between Kazaa and Grokster the latter is naturally a better choice as it has less spyware bundled to it. But you can not avoid touching Kazaa as the p2p engine that powers Grokster and even Kazaa Lite is made by Kazaa and once you connect to the FastTrack network it is also under Kazaa's full control. To be able to use your client you have allowed it full access through your firewall so that security door is wide open for whoever controls the FastTrack network. And the automatic upgrade mechanism built into the p2p engine sees that the owner of the network can push any software they wish to your computer through supernodes, effectively owning your computer. Now you may ask how this differs from you having a trojan on your computer. The answer: it doesn't.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote