View Single Post
Old 08-11-06, 04:03 PM   #16
legion
I took both pills.

Quote:
in the first hundred hours of a Democratic Congress: We will restore civility, integrity, and fiscal responsibility to the House of Representatives. We will start by cleaning up Congress, breaking the link between lobbyists and legislation and commit to pay-as-you-go, no new deficit spending.
considering the state the U.S. is in (as far as i can judge such a thing from here) no new deficit spending seems a little hard to do. The U.S. government is so far in debt to nations world wide that it will take decades to pay it all off.
And since i couldn't find a page where Nancy Pelosi explains how she is going to fund any of her ideas this comes across as ... well to be honest ... hot air.
Don't get me wrong i applaud the idea to restore some integrity to any political system (including my own government)
With daddy bush working for the carlyle group and with unlimited access to his son the pres. sound a bit dodgy at best.

Quote:
We will make our nation safer and we will begin by implementing the recommendations of the independent, bipartisan 9/11 Commission.
Cool, Now i quickly scanned over those recommendations and some of them cost a ton of money. Again the question on how to fund them remains unanswered.

@Mazer: i think this one requires government spending

Quote:
We will make our economy fairer, and we will begin by raising the minimum wage. We will not pass a pay raise for Congress until there is an increase in the minimum wage.
The economy never has been fair to the have nots, nor will it ever be. With money you can make money.
An increase in minimum wage from $5.15 to $7.25 is an 40% raise. Now even to a lefty like myself that sounds pretty steep. Nevertheless I hope she will be able to pull it off, yes with all the consequences that it holds, but I seriously doubt it.
Oh, i stole the $5.15 an hour figure from the U. S. department of labor

Quote:
We will make health care more affordable for all Americans, and we will begin by fixing the Medicare prescription drug program, putting seniors first by negotiating lower drug prices. We will also promote stem cell research to offer real hope to the millions of American families who suffer from devastating diseases.
hmmm i got this from the washington post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by washington post
Allow the government to negotiate directly with the pharmaceutical companies
this suggest that the U.S. government isn't doing that right now and neither should they. Untill last year we had that collective health insurance thing going on here. End result, drugs are 30% more expensive here than in the rest of europe. don't cheer too soon i guess.

Quote:
We will broaden college opportunity, and we will begin by cutting interest rates for student loans in half.
WOOOOHOOOO i am all in favor for that. education should be available for ALL! no matter what the costs are.

Quote:
We will energize America by achieving energy independence, and we will begin by rolling back the multi-billion dollar subsidies for Big Oil.
Are you peeps ready for $6 a gallon? Or do you really believe that companies like Shell are going to pay for it themselves? Since Shell is part Dutch let me enlighten you... there is not a chance in HELL that we are going to cough up that kind of dough for you. Why should we pay out of the world gas prices in order to keep yours low?

Quote:
We will guarantee a dignified retirement, and we will begin by fighting any attempt to privatize Social Security.
She is entirely right here. We are half way down that road here and it is a bitch, don't you peeps ever get lured into that one.