View Single Post
Old 06-11-06, 11:50 AM   #1
Repo

Default Political Ideas To Ponder...

Having watched part of the HBO documentary "Hacking Democracy," which showed the Diebold election machines can be hacked and possibly compromise an election, I as everyone who watched the documentary must question why a state would use the machines. Yes we had enough of the old chad producing machines but surely and yes I did call you Shirley, electronic voting may be as bad or worse. Some electronic machines have a paper trail and to answer a question poised by Chris Matthews to the Florida gubernatorial candidates in their debate, the paper stays in the election machine and is not given to the voter like an ATM receipt. Sadly none of the candidates seemed sharp enough to know that but they are running for Florida governor so don't expect much because you won't get much from any of them. I have a question, why is it a choice between chads and electronic voting? Surely and yes I did call you Shirley once again, there is enough brilliant people in the country and the technology to come up with an alternative. Here is my proposal. Go back to the manual pull the lever style but instead of a dull puncher that leaves frayed chads, have the lever shoot a laser light at the designated spot for each candidate. Once a laser burns a whole in the ballot, the ballot is kept to be counted. That ends the chads and leaves a paper trail that cannot be hacked. That is my idea; it is up to the brilliant people in the country to work out the details and the bugs. It certainly is better than hoping and praying you voted for who you selected on the ballot not a candidate the hacker wanted...

The joke seems to be on the Republican Party, you can only scare Americans so much and then they want results...

Republican Senators Conrad Burns in Montana and George Allen in Virginia, have had a tough time getting reelected. Burns and Allen are more like the comedy team of the same name than incumbents running for reelection, with Allen still doing the dumb part...

One of the first thing the newly elected Congress should do once it is sworn in is make the National Guard national again by passing a law forbidding state national guard troops being used outside of United States territory. The National Guard is to protect the homeland in a state of emergency not fight in foreign wars. Many of the people that signed up to the Guard did so after 9/11 to provide service to their country in a time of need. By using the National Guard to fight wars overseas, it leaves the homeland shorthanded in times of emergencies. We saw it after Hurricane Katrina; it took days to get other states' National Guard units into New Orleans because the Louisiana Guard was in Iraq. In that gap of time lives were lost. Using National Guard troops to fight foreign wars will prevent good patriotic Americans from signing up to the National Guard that would have signed up to help for domestic emergencies such as hurricanes, earthquakes and terrorists attacks. Many people don't want to signup to fight a war but would signup to help deal with domestic emergencies. If someone wants to signup to fight in a foreign war there is the United States military for that. The federal government should not be using states' emergency units to fight overseas. If they don't have enough troops then they have two options, either don't fight the war or draft people into the war. States shouldn't have to pay for the federal government's wars with their troops and equipment. State of the art communications equipment was in Iraq when the State of Louisiana was under water after Katrina. People died because state and local officials could not communicate during the aftermath of Katrina. Louisiana’s National Guard and their equipment should be in Louisiana not Iraq, same for all fifty states. Congress should pass a law that State National Guard units can only be used on American territory. If the federal government wants to fight a war on foreign soil, they should not be allowed to draft National Guard units as they are doing now...

If the Democratic Party takes Congress, the question isn't what they will do but what will President Bush do? Will he sign their legislation or will be veto it? Will he continue to alienate them and further divide the country with his name-calling? Will he resign, move back to Texas and chop wood in the bush, making Cheney president? A role he has held without the official title. Surely it will be an interesting time and yes for the last time I called you Shirley...
Repo is offline   Reply With Quote