View Single Post
Old 13-04-02, 06:49 PM   #30
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Screwy Re: Grokster Sending Executables

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
i've just gottten six executables, programs like "downloadware" and "movienetworks" installed and running in startup (without my permission needless to say). anyone getting these? ad-aware isn't catching a thing and my cd_clint.dll is fine. something's up and it's not good. there must be a pgm that's calling them but what and why right now? i get that "your security's been compromised" pop-up, which naturally i close using ctrl-alt-delete but they're still getting in, and fast. if i can't figure this out it's good-bye fastrack. it's that bad.

- js.
Quote:
In some cases, people are not even asked whether they want the software. It just installs on the hard drive--a particularly troublesome tactic that some have dubbed "drive-by download."

Some Net users have complained of receiving downloads containing a virus that automatically redirects them to adult-related sites. Such downloads also have been known to install new dial-up programs replacing the existing accounts. The Federal Trade Commission recently brought a case against people who were using such tactics to install a dial-up account for expensive 1-900 numbers
They go on to say this is not common... But two people (JackSpratts & thegame412) who post here have encountered this very ad.

So technically it is not FastTrack at fault for this, but it is Groksters fault for placing the ads there...
I'm just glad I don't get any pop-ups, pop-unders etc. and so do feel OK with Grokster for now.
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote