Thread: edonkey?
View Single Post
Old 22-01-02, 05:02 PM   #5
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

I've recently just started using eDonkey myself and have noticed some good points and bad but I'll try to stick to the major ones. I like the fact that they try to eliminate freeloaders by making and and allowing everyone to share files that they have just downloaded. What I mean by this is that the small piece of file you have downloaded is almost immediately shared to everyone. This in turn creates more sources, rather then on Morpheus you have to wait until the whole file is downloaded in order to start sharing it. Of course on Morpheus, there's also no guarantee that they are going to share it when they are done.

Another good thing about their way of sharing files is that for users that don't have enough space on their hard drives, they don't have to keep large files for sharing. They are helping to share that large file the instant they are downloading it. After they are finished downloading it they can save to CD and delete it for more space. They've most likely have shared that file many times before completing it.

I've found more rare files on eDonkey then I have on Morpheus, and that's terrible considering Morpheus has a lot more users. The thing I don't like about eDonkey, is that they don't have an option to limit the number of upload slots. Maybe I don't know the program well enough, but I haven't been about to find a way to. The problem with not being able to do this is that eDonkey constantly divides the upload bandwidth until most users are only uploading at 1 kbps or less to any individual.

From the times that I have checked my sources, I've noticed that no one uploads faster then 2kbps to me. I believe that this is the cause of the many complaints about slow speeds. There have been only 2 times that I have downloaded faster then 10 kbps, but I've only been using the program for about a week so I don't know if this is normal. On Morpheus I can easily limit my uploads slots to 1 or 2 people and give them my full upload bandwidth. I'm sure users uploading from me appreciates this especially if I'm the only one sharing that file.

Anyhow, eDonkey isn't too bad a program and it's something worth looking into. Like Kewbase said, "Edonkey is promising".
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote