View Single Post
Old 25-07-04, 08:04 PM   #44
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathcliff
It's very telling you took that personally, you were a million miles away in my mind when I wrote it. In fact I was just enjoying your "Geometry" thinking what a cool and talented guy you are. You right-wing tirade shocks and disappoints me. You make a liar out of me to nicobe.
Well thank you, I'm always happy to hear it when someone likes my music. But the fact is I try to be a better writer than a musician, and I'm motivated by my desire to entertain as well as communicate. If my response came off as a tirade then I'm sorry; I meant for it to sound passionate, but not angry. The fact is that it doesn't matter if that opinion came from a scholarly source or not, it was still offensive.

I'm not telling you to keep your opinions to yourself, I'm not walking over your 1st Amendment rights (but I'm not the government so it's not as if I could anyway). I'm asking for a little common courtesy, a little foresight. It's not your opinions that offend me, I'm not the kind of person to judge one's beliefs; it's the fact that you've closed yourself off to all opposing opinions and you're unwilling to learn from others, or even admit that you have something to learn, that I object to. Just admit that you're not always right about everything and I'll forgive you.

You're getting personal with this anti-Mormon mindset. I know it's easy to pick on us, but wouldn't you rather ask me what I believe rather than spout your ignorance across the board?

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is that you always seem to expect the worst of conservatives, you're always worried about the worst case scenario, and you're too willing to believe that those who disagree with you are both evil and numerous. It isn't as bad as you think. I can confidently state that the vast majority of Americans are just normal, regular people with their own problems to think about, and all this political stuff does matter to them but not much. So when you try to classify people as either Democrat or Republican you can't win. There are some Democratic issues I agree with, though not many, and there are many Republican issues that I disagree with. I'm like almost every American: my beliefs are clearly defined but they don't clearly fit into a polar political spectum. Therefore I think anyone who completly agrees with either party line is dumb, but smart people are capable of siding with one party or another without compromising too much. Don't be disappointed if I happen to be an adequate musician and a Republican. Knowing that a person can be both intelligent and wrong might rock the foundations of your world view, but you'll recover, I promise; I've come to expect it which is why I'm not as disappointed with you.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote