View Single Post
Old 07-08-03, 01:16 PM   #5
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

Maybe "foolproof" was the wrong word. I didn't mean to imply that it's completely reliable on its own. However I feel that retinal images/fingerprints/other pattern combinations would be preferable as an authentication mechanism compared to the SecureIDE system. Using a combination of such biological patterns would provide protection as least as strong as standard encryption, without leaving the user in the position of being able to easily give away the keys!

Quote:
Originally posted by pod
The most common implementation, a fingerprint scanner, can be attacked by anyone who can lift your finger print, and has even a modestly stocked kitchen.
My dad has almost 30 years experience in access control, including biometric authentication, and whenever he sees a movie or tv show where fingerprints are lifted using sticky-tape or plastic film and flour (or what have you ) he starts ranting about how impossible that is with modern systems. Sophisticated pattern recognition systems can match thermal scans and even the arrangement of blood vessels (allowing for normal variances as caused by alcohol consumption, illness etc.) to only one living candidate. Maybe these systems aren't widely available or cheap enough yet, but I was always lead to believe that such scenarios were merely Hollywood fantasy!? I could be wrong though...
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote