Thread: Changing codec
View Single Post
Old 22-07-01, 04:20 AM   #8
schmooky007
hi

Big Laugh Re: Changing codec

Quote:
Originally posted by Yeah-I-Did-It
Is it possble to improve file quality by uncompressing then reencoding into another codec. I want to reencode some of my older downloads to a better codec. I don't care for the - Blade - Xing - codecs and want to reencode them into Lame *R3mix* or ogg vorbis. Or will this actually hurt the quality? Help please!
transcoding (or 're-encoding') will affect quality significantly because ur dealing with lossy compression formats

i highly doubt you want to get close to blade or xing; blade doesn't use short blocks correctly and xing doesn't use them at all. you'll end up with loads of artifacts. but this is not to say that lame or fhg will deliver any better results regardless of what settings you select

think of it this way: when you encode the original, mp3 removes information. by transcoding this mp3 again in lossy format, you need to take it into consideration that you already have a "stripped" audiosignal. so while in the first instance the encoder may remove only redundent information, in the second hit it will remove audible information

obviously this tandem effect of re-encoding goes beyond the sound quality issue; if you re-encode to a higher bitrate (i.e. the original mp3 was 128kbits and you're transcoding that to 256kbits), then not only you end up with even worse sound quality but the re-encoded mp3 will be twice as big than the original mp3.. shtoza all the way
schmooky007 is offline   Reply With Quote