View Single Post
Old 11-10-02, 07:43 AM   #7
JackSpratts

all the fasttrack clients are excellent devices for swapping all types of files. they are truly today’s workhorses in the p2p world. since the vast majority of users aren't even aware of the insiders’ tempest surrounding spyware issues, let alone concerned by the problem when finally informed, i'm surprised to see such low scores myself. add the fact that with the smallest amount of effort one can find cleaned and enhanced versions of these clients, the scores should be much higher. winmxs’ high score is less surprising since it really does have it's fans. it's so subjective because many people simply stay on a few select boutique servers all day long and have come to find those opennaps indispensable. what is surprising is the pessimistic attitude displayed by the comment that winnys days are numbered. it's as strong today as it’s ever been and shows no signs of slowing down. i'm with him (her, they?) on blubster - with caveats – yes it’s fast but it's still buggy and error prone, and except for the soft spot i hold in my heart for gnutella and the open source movement it represents, he missed the mark on that one completely. file sharing has moved beyond it.

finally there’s soulseek. don’t know why he left it out. one of the best clients today - it should be high on anyone’s list with a fondness for the music it delivers.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote