View Single Post
Old 24-02-02, 04:16 PM   #11
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by kristof47
If you like DC, you might want to try DC++, a C++ version of the program which allows multi-hub, better resume (from any filename), multiple source downloading (though not at the same time, more like backups if the first one goes offline), fast share list loading and some other stuff.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dcplusplus/
Thanks kristof47, I was already wondering if it is possible to connect to multiple hubs simultaneously. Some hub owners also seemed to dislike DC++ users ("no DC++ users please") - any particular reason for that?

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
i'm sharing 7 gigs (2500 files) on win/morph/xoxlox. that's less than 25% of theirs! but you know, with only 128k up, people are already queued enough as it is at the house of spratts.
7 gigs is already a huge share on WinMX but the dynamics of these two systems are clearly different. The grand principle in DC (like JohnDoe345's example demonstrated) is to share shitloads of stuff among a small number of users which puts DC somewhere in between WinMX/Morpheus-type mass networks and luxurious private FTP servers. Sending a 7 gig batch to an opennap server or a WinMX supernode takes a lot of time, so does browsing, but in DC things go faster as only filename and filesize info are relevant. There is no bitrate info available for mp3s not to talk about additional metadata á la Morpheus - so in this respect DC is much like Gnutella. This is not necessarily a problem if you deal with full albums and mention the key info (e.g. release year and bitrate) in the foldername - a nice practice I have seen on many FTP servers.

Browsing somebody's library is simple but may take a lot of time as browse requests seems to be treated like any file requests - if there is no free slot to send the browse file to you, you will just have to wait for your turn (correct me if I am wrong).

Has any of you experiences of running a hub?

And welcome to the board phateboard - enjoy your stay at Napsterites!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote