View Single Post
Old 16-06-01, 03:24 PM   #9
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by nanook:
would this mean that a pure p2p wouldn't have the community setting that our dear friend Napster had?

i guess to me that would indeed seem a kind of leeching system.
Community setting was one of the best things about Napster but this dimension of p2p is really not related to the 'purity' of the technology chosen. It is perfectly possible to create highly community-oriented networks with pure p2p - it is just that Gnutella as a pioneer of pure p2p chose and embraced another orientation. Gnutella's anonymous and asocial nature as well as its heavy use of bandwidth resources have created general misconceptions about pure p2p. Morpheus has already demonstrated that it is possible to build a solid, efficient and well-scaling infrastructure on pure p2p. Building a socially intelligent environment on top of such an infrastructure is not a technical challenge but rather a question of development policy.

Quote:
Originally posted by nanook:
beyond what a lot of people think, Napster, to me anyways was much more than just a way of obtaining wonderful oldies, obscurities and feeling out new and up-coming music.

it was a community i liked being a part of and i liked that people could check out my collection of music and find that us two people seemed so in tuned with each other, in our taste, we could have been close friends. Which has become the case in some instances.

the news, stories, personal and otherwise, jokes, surveys and even the fighting. It all created this big family.

Personalities came through in time, crystal clear. Leaving u feeling that u knew them as well as u could, being in cyber-space and all.
Very good points and observations! The beautiful reunion of Napsterites on this board is a good demonstartion of the community spirit living on and finding new ways to express itself even if Napster itself has been neutered by the RIAA.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote