View Single Post
Old 18-03-02, 02:22 PM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

I think Blubster might not be worth the effort. It has real troubles behind a firewall and there are some issues.

Board Index > Help & Support > Blubster corrupted "wsock32.DLL" ???

< Last Thread Next Thread >
Printable Version
New Topic Post Reply
Author: Subject: Blubster corrupted "wsock32.DLL" ???
edm1820

New Blubzy

posted on 12/23/2001 at 22:17
Not sure if this is a known problem, but I downloaded and ran the latest blubster today and tried it for the first time.

I was downloading about 3 mp3's when my computer froze. When I rebooted and tried to open blubster I got a "could not connect to internet" message. So I tried to run "winipcfg" and received an error message stating that winipcfg could not be opened due to an error in wsock32.DLL.

So I used windows 98 system file checker to restore the file "wsock32.DLL" and was able to run winipcfg and connect to the internet again. But when I tried to open blubster again I got the error again, I lost my connection and couldn't run winipcfg once again.

Anyway, I restored the "wsock32.DLL" file again and this time re-downloaded blubster (deleting the original one). And this time it ran ok. apparently something got corrupted in the other blubster exe that in turn corrupted wsock32.DLL.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

thanks.

Athlon 1.4
256 DDR
Geforce 2 GTS
SBLive
Win 98 SE

edm1820

New Blubzy

posted on 12/23/2001 at 22:25
This happened again. It's seems to happen if I run blubster with out opening Internet Explorer first.

If I resore wsock32.DLL then open IE (before opening blubster) then run the blubster.exe it opens without any problems.

BTW, I'm on a cable connection and no firewall IE 5.5.

UPDATED after further inspection of the "wsock32.DLL" files, Blubster seems to be changing it from the english version to a spanish version (when IE is not yet opened). I assume it doesn't happen with IE opened because that file is in use.

Any of this make any sence to anyone, or why it would do this? I have english selected as my versions language...

[Edited on 23/12/2001 by edm1820]

gob

Blubzy

posted on 12/23/2001 at 22:50
Samething happened to me. Blubster was running and froze and I restarted and internet wouldnt work saying that it couldnt create a newtork socket connection or something so i Phoned tech Supprt I reinstalled my TCP/IP stack and that didnt help, so they tried to get me to run a few things (even to try to ping) and nothin would work cuz it said it was missing that DLL. So i reinstalled windows and that didnt help, so i formatted and after that it worked fine again.

zwaxy

Junior Blubzy

posted on 2/10/2002 at 04:50
This happened to me too, when it hapens it not only changes wsock32.dll but a bunch f other dlls and ocx files in the windwos system directory. This is really strange,

wsock32.dll
stkit432.dll
ssmaxmin.ocx
psbtryicon.ocx
mswinsck.ocx
msinet.ocx
mscomctl.ocx
impulsemp3.ocx
msvbvm60.dll
impulsemp3.dll
ebcrypt.dll

i'm hoping if i restore these files it will fix it... i guess what i wanted to ask is where does blubster store it's information, the scaned files database, there is no blubster directory nor is there a registry entry for blubster, how does it cached the crcs of the mp3 files?

note: i've used blubster on xp and this never happened, it does happen with 98 though...

[Edited on 10/2/2002 by zwaxy]

you -This Mortal Coil

zwaxy

Junior Blubzy

posted on 2/13/2002 at 02:59
note: i fixed my problem by restoring a copy of wsock32.dll only even though it appears something changed all of the previously mentioned files at the same time. now i don't get the wierd missing dll message.

you -This Mortal Coil

swmax

New Blubzy

posted on 2/13/2002 at 06:58
Well im getting a very similiar thing also when I go to download I right click on a song and it puts three of the exact same download in transfers and then it totally locks my system up. And I have to reboot my system also

Cyberhwk

MegaHyperModerator

posted on 2/13/2002 at 10:50
Config>Downloads> Uncheck "Try Downloads From All Hosts"

That's a 4-6-3 double play if you're scoring at home, or even if you're alone.

Pablo

Administrator

posted on 2/14/2002 at 13:00
I am trying to detect what is happening exactly with those DLLs. All those are bundled in the Blubster.exe file, and they will try to virtually load into memory, so that blubster doesn't need to write them in the hard drive...

I am asking to the support staff of the "linker" program I used to do this, it seems that some systems disable virtual dependencies and the loader code tries to write the DLLs.

pappa

New Blubzy

posted on 2/21/2002 at 01:00
thanks, you saved me alot of reinstalling, i also had the spanish wsock32,strange

New Topic Post Reply
napho is offline   Reply With Quote