View Single Post
Old 09-06-03, 11:16 AM   #143
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by reg0232
this is really such a great thread ... you really know your stuff ...

i noticed that some of you had trouble connecting ... did anyone get a message, when you couldn't connect, saying that it was possibly due to a firewall? just curious ... i don't know what happened, but a friend & i set ours up & we used it & it was working great. then the next time i tried to connect, i couldn't connect, & i got that error message. really frustrating, because it worked so great the 1st time & i didn't change anything (except entering the new ip address) ... i can't imagine what happened the 2nd time. i'm tempted to uninstall & install it again ... what do you think?? thanks for listening ... : )
For the network to work, there must be at least one user with a non-firewalled connection (or with a firewall that has the correct port opened for incoming connections). This unrestricted user can then act as a message broker for all the firewalled users so that anybody can chat with anybody else.

On small networks with only one non-firewalled user (or just a few of them) it can easily happen that no such 'free peer' happens to be online. In those situations the network is as good as dead. The network gets alive again when a non-firewalled user logs in and starts to run the messaging business.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote