Thread: Orbł
View Single Post
Old 29-08-02, 01:34 AM   #13
Mowzer
'

"What would you like simple to look like?"

Miss Alpha,

I decided to illustrate that simple doesnt always mean barren and lots of space. It can mean an Inductive UI too that still maintains simplicity visually and in fucntion.

I rushed through throwing that together for ya, so lots of errors and mistakes. If you check out some UI design material you will uncover them Now that I look over my sample design again, it looks pretty awful too.

You can use XP icons and still have uniqueness to em. You have aqua blue tabs and xp icons which means segmented. I think making it themeable or skinable is good.

Play around a bit do many, many prototypes as you feel are needed, either way I am sure you will come up with something really amazing.

Always remember once you have a idea of what your happy with once you make changes, never add a new design feature untill you take one current design aspect out. Thats how all good UI's are achieved.

Chrome has been popular lately, Various linux apps, microsofts Msn8 and media player 9, Nividas dvd player, M$ Office.net, plus not to mention a zillion chrome skins for diffrent mp3 players and xp desktops. I should have done the above in chrome. If I had to change parts of the example, I would change allot. About the only thing I like is the "Transfers" icon. Anyway, I just wanted to give you the other side of simple through Inductive UI.

I could go on and on about UI design, and all the complex rules and tricks. Instead I recommend you head to http://www.uiweb.com and read up. Its the definitive design resource for UI's. Check out the annotated design links section.

You will find a link to a good Inductive UI guide from microsoft there too. It will show you what inducitve user interface design is about, and take you through the design process with examples from many of micrsofts own projects like Money 2003.

You also might want to join Chi-web or sigia mailing lists if your intrested in UI design. Thats pretty much the internet hub for designers to share ideas. I think apples UI mailing list is Phi. But don't see the link listed. Allot of the big design gurus post and can give feedback. Like Ron Impas. He designed the Icon style used in xp. (Luna "the sea of blue" was headed up by another designer.)

Any way, Looking forward to seeing the final program. Keep working at it

Remember a good design takes tons of prototypes (on paper or in photoshop, theres tons of methods) before it even begins to reach its potential. Not to mention lots of time.

Last edited by Mowzer : 29-08-02 at 03:59 AM.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote