View Single Post
Old 31-01-02, 02:52 AM   #8
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Quote:
Originally posted by daddydirt

multisource is working tg, try the beatles or something

as stoepsel said, "Right now there isn't much to download and try out the multi-sourcing, but that should get better in the coming days."
Yep, multi-sourcing has worked for me, even though I had to download crap like Britney Spears to test it

@TankGirl:
Yeah, I noticed some imperfections, too. You already mentioned the OpenNap Server issue. The list is empty and Locate Servers takes you to the WinMX home page.

I had no problem with getting into WPNP. I use ZoneAlarm Pro and let WinMX be a server. Of course, that's like opening the barn door on the firewall, but it worked for me. I guess it's a bit more complicated not to let WinMX act as server. Would that even be possible?

I always thought that the GUI was pretty ugly but designed to get the job done. And the Look-And-Feel of WinMX hasn't changed - still ugly but gets the job done

I haven't chatted yet and didn't use the hotlist. I sent some messages to people and browsed their files. What I like about WinMX in comparison to Morpheus is, that it is better in handling large lists without slowing down or freezing up. I browsed someone's file list with over 1.500 entries and that presented no problem.
BTW, has anyone else noticed that Morpheus hates it when you share/unshare large amounts of files in My Media?

I don't quite understand what WinMX puts in the title bar. There's this section that starts with: "PC: <some number>" followed by 2 more values, can't remember what they were (I'm writing this down from memory). If the PC value stands for number of users logged in, the value was around 5-8 when I was logged in. That was 5-8, not 500-800 or 5.000.000-8.000.000. No wonder that testing multi-sourcing was a bit hard to do. Let's wait a day or 2 for the news to spread.

The file launching isn't implemented yet for your downloads, but they mention that on the bug report page as known issue. I always liked the fact that you could launch an external player directly from WinMX. The Morpheus Theater is a pain. And you can't enqueue songs like in WinMX.

Of course, WinMX now has a totally new way to store incomplete files since they have to deal with multi-sourced partial files. The partial files already have the 'final' extension, no .temp or .dat or something and look like "_IMCOMPLETE_<filename>_<some hex number>". How they keep track of what has been downloaded? No idea. Don't really care either.

That's pretty much what I noticed after an hour or 2 of occasional fiddling.

Any other observations?

Stoepsel