View Single Post
Old 12-06-01, 05:17 PM   #4
Tom9504

In their FAQ, they say:

Quote:
Q: Is MusicCity a distributed network?
A: Yes! In fact, MusicCity is a whole new type of distributed network. We have developed technology that effectively solves the inherent problems in "first-generation" distributed networks, such as Gnutella. MusicCity is what can be called a distributed self-organizing network.

Q: Why is it better than other distributed networks such as Gnutella?
A: With Gnutella and similar networks, all connected computers acts as search servers on the networks. When a search query is initiated, it is sent to 2 to 4 other computers, which in turn passes the query to more computers, and so on. Effectively, each search query traverses the entire network. This creates a huge amount of traffic. Clients on slower connections (such as modem dial-ups) cannot keep up with this amount of traffic, which slows down the entire search process.

On MusicCity, not all clients act as servers. Instead, clients on powerful connection and with faster computers are selected to become what we call "SuperNodes". SuperNodes can be seen as local search hubs. "Normal" clients connect to their "neighborhood" SuperNode to upload information about the files they share and perform searches. The selection of SuperNodes is automatic - there is no manual intervention. This is why we call it a distributed self-organizing network.

Q: What are the main advantages of the MusicCity approach?
A: Put simply, this is the key advantages of MusicCity compared to others:
Totally distributed self-organizing network
The network is multi-layered, so that more powerful computers get to be search hubs ("Supernodes"). Network management is 100% automatic. Search times are very low, typically 1-3 seconds. Scalability limits are about 5000% greater than LimeWire, BearShare, or Gnutella in general.
It's really not very specific...

I think Morpheus connects to MusicCity servers to establish a list of users who are acting as search SuperNodes - "Normal" clients connect to their "neighborhood" SuperNode to upload information about the files they share and perform searches - so could the "neighborhood" SuperNode be owned by MC? ... I'm not sure about that one, but I figure that's could be why all the MC servers disappeared from the OpenNap server lists after Morpheus showed up.

The RIAA certainly has the power to stop MC like they stopped Napster, I'm sure of that - especially if the MPAA decides to get involved as well. Even if the network is 'self-organizing' and can't be shut down, they could order that MusicCity stop distributing the Morpheus program itself. I doubt we's see the same response as with Napster of people trying to 'keep Morpheus alive'... it just hasn't been around long enough for anyone to get attached to it, and it's totally lacking in any social side, as the Nazi-moderated forums appear to have just proven.

MusicCity plans to set up a pay service anyway so it doesn't really matter to me at all. Am extremely buggy program like Morpheus with no 'happy memories' and no social side to speak of will almost certainly die when you start having to pay for the 'privilege' of using it. The only real advantage of Morpheus was its userbase anyway... you gotta admit, the UI is pretty bad (although not WinMX bad, just a bit bad).

MC is just another Napster-style sellout now. Bring on the true (free) P2P of the future, please.
Tom9504 is offline   Reply With Quote