View Single Post
Old 11-04-05, 01:48 PM   #6
larytet

Quote:
Originally Posted by klowne
Thanks guys, I'll let you know if I run into any trouble trying these.

Slightly more preferable though would be if I didnt need to specify the IPs so that the word could spread about the program and people easily set it up. Am I right in thinking that Rodi could do this with everyone using the same port so people setting it up only need to know that?
yes that's right. rodi client finds peers using IP scan. For example, let's say that your network is 10.19.x.x or up to 64K hosts. with 10Mbit/s connection you can find all peers assuming that port is known in 5s (see http://larytet.sourceforge.net/useCa...torlooktraffic)
This is pefect for LANs. you do not need any centralized server where peers should register, etc.

Usually subnets you will have to scan are going to be much smaller. For example, 192.168.11.x , 192.168.41.x, etc. 254 peers per range.
Peer is searchable immediately afer it run the client. If asked peer does not have what you are searching for peer will send you set of IPs of other peers. This way the moment you find one peer in the netwok you learn more IPs and so on.
larytet is offline   Reply With Quote