View Single Post
Old 22-01-03, 07:12 PM   #3
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

CNN's site seemed to be rather loaded so here's the entire article napsterized...

Big enemy of music-swapping resigns

NEW YORK (AP) -- Hilary Rosen, the U.S. recording industry's head lobbyist who waged a high- profile battle against Napster and music piracy, is resigning at the end of the year.

In a statement, Rosen cited personal reasons for leaving the Recording Industry Association of America, where she has served as chief executive since 1998.

"During my tenure here, the recording industry has undergone dramatic challenges and it is well positioned for future success ... But I have young children and I want to devote more of my time to them," Rosen said.

She said the RIAA board will search for a replacement.

Declines blamed on file sharing

David Munns, chairman and chief executive of EMI Recorded Music North America, said Rosen has been an influential advocate "in both transforming the music industry in the digital age and in fighting piracy."

The industry has been struggling with declining sales, which Rosen has blamed on illegal downloading over defunct online file-sharing service Napster and successors like Kazaa.

Rosen's departure comes as the organization seeks to soften its image among Internet consumers, many of whom view it with antipathy over incessant pressure for crackdowns on sharing digital music over the Internet.

Rosen was an independent consultant before joining the RIAA in 1987. She also is a founding board member of Rock the Vote, an organization aimed to get younger people more politically involved.

Thanks for the hot news, AweShucks!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote