View Single Post
Old 06-09-01, 04:45 PM   #3
Mazer

I still share with my 56K modem and some people still download from me too. For some reason people chose the popular songs that could easily be found on broadband computers, but oh well. My biggest problem is that an upload will crap out after a while and uploads are rarely finished, especially while I'm downloading at the same time. That was until I started using WinMX. It's bandwidth throttle actually keeps connections alive longer. I watch the bandwidth graph with the throttle off and the upload speed fluctuates wildly and enevitably hits zero and stays there. With the limit set to 2250 kbps the graph levels off and actualy maintains a higher average throughput than an unthrottled upload. The same goes for downloads too. On unstable connections the speed changes constantly, but if I set the throttle a little lower than maximum the speed remains pretty constant. Suffice it to say that the throttle makes sharing practical for 56K'ers like myself.

It gave me an idea for a full-time internet throttle that would screen every file transfer (kinda like a firewall does) and allot a certain ammount of bandwidth to each. It would separate different kinds of data and put them in order before it gets sent to the internet. This would keep different data streams from interfering with each other. It would keep compressed file transfers from slowing down uncompressed file transfers since most modems use compression whenever they can (text files for example usually transfer at 12 KB/s on a 56K modem because it compresses them before sending them).