View Single Post
Old 19-10-04, 08:54 AM   #6
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I havn't seen any recent polls on the subject (a poll from Sept. 22 reported a small majority in favor), but the opposing radio ad's are funny. It's being shot down by a group called 'Coloradans Against a Really Stupid Idea,' not kidding you.

I'm against it myself. If the presidential elections havn't already degraded down to popularity contests then this would only make things worse. There's nothing that divides Americans more than election results. The last election turnd into a pissing contest over a matter of 25 electoral votes, can you imagine what it would do to us all if a candidate won by just one vote? It also feeds into my fear that Americans only really care about national politics, that they cast their votes for President, Senator, and Representative and ignore the local issues. I'm heartened by the recent news of a huge voter turnout this year but are these really informed voters who vote for local and state affairs as well, or are they just trying to give their presidental candidate a majority and nothing else?

In pracitce the amendment would immediatly take four votes from Bush and give them to Kerry, which is probably why the Apollo Group proposed the amendment here.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote