Thread: P2P Security
View Single Post
Old 18-08-03, 04:28 AM   #7
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Welcome to the forum.

1) Firewall

Wouldn't compute without one. While it is true that some special configuration is sometimes needed, the protection it provides is worth the effort in setup.

If you have broadband internet, a router provides a good start in security by isolating your computer(s) from unauthorized incoming connections. Again, special setup is often needed for P2P applications.

A software firewall such as ZoneAlarm also helps identify unauthorized outgoing connections by applications that "phone home" or exhibit possible trojan activity.

I use both a router and ZoneAlarm.

There is also some special firewall software made for P2P users. One that comes to mind is called PeerGuardian. These special firewalls help reject incoming connection requests from tracking sites and other unwelcome IP addresses.

2) Virus Protection

Virus, worms, and other such evils are out there. A virus protection program like Norton Anti-Virus is a must have. Making sure the virus protection software is kept up to date with the latest virus definition files is an important ongoing task.

3) Adware and Popups

As already mentioned, many P2P clients have advertising built into them, and even ordinary internet surfing subjects you to tracking schemes that monitor where you have been on the internet. I use LavaSoft Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy for adware removal and Meaya Popup ad filter to eliminate pop-up ads on web pages.

4) Spam

Spam is a problem for everyone. The best thing to do is be careful about giving out your email address. Some ISP's offer spam filters, which work with varying degrees of success. Never respond to a spam message in any way, including responding to "remove me from your list". Just trash the messages.

5) Other measures

Make sure you keep your operating system up to date with the latest security patches.

Viruses, worms, and trojans often come in emails as attachments. Do not open email attachments unless you know who sent it to you. Even then, some of these evil things spread by sending emails to all entries in the address book of an infected computer. Good anti-virus packages scan emails (including attached files) for problems.

Do not play MP3's by double clicking on the file name in windows explorer - use an MP3 player like winamp or musicmatch jukebox.

Be careful when running downloaded executable files from an untrusted source.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote