View Single Post
Old 04-09-05, 11:02 AM   #13
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

ah, i see. the german media is the problem. think we can relay that on to the people of Mississippi and Louisiana? i'm sure they'll perk right up once they understand that thier problems are perceptual in nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazer
And why even try to get into the minutia of how disaster relief is organized along local, state and federal lines in the United States when it is so easy and ideologically satisfying to tell the German people that the Bush administration is fully at fault?
your blogger doesn't quite have his facts in order: major disaster relief is organized along federal, state, and local lines - in that order. it starts from the top down... perhaps you missed this above:
Quote:
In the event of a terrorist attack, natural disaster or other large-scale emergency, the Department of Homeland Security will assume primary responsibility on March 1st for ensuring that emergency response professionals are prepared for any situation. This will entail providing a coordinated, comprehensive federal response to any large-scale crisis and mounting a swift and effective recovery effort.
your government has had primary responsibility for relief. that's where the criticism is righteously leveled. yes, it's political - it's also relevant, valid, and it's not a minute too soon to ask what the fuck went wrong here?

the most shallow and callous politics taking place right now is not those who are asking for accountability - it's those who are avoiding it.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote