View Single Post
Old 31-12-01, 10:14 AM   #9
Ruger

Quote:
Originally posted by Scyth
Doing what without your consent? Displaying ads? 'Cause that's all software needs to do to have Ad Aware class it as spyware (check the Lavasoft website if you don't believe me). Also, how far must a program go to get your consent? Of the few pieces of software that actually do monitor your browsing habits (BonziaBuddy for example), currently all have a privacy policy posted on their respective websites and a description what they do in the EULA that users must agree to in order to install the software.
Yes I have read some of the user agreements. Some of the ones that get me are the ones that offer personalized adds. How do they know what adds are of personal interest to me? And while the add program itself may not snoop often times adds alone will add cookies. What do cookies do?
Simple fact that the ad companies privacy policies are often vague and misleading.
Here is a quote from onflow
Quote:
Each time the Onflow Player displays images, it transmits data to our server such as the serial number of the Player, the image displayed, the web page in which it was shown and whether you moved your mouse over the image or clicked on it. This data does not identify you.
Good it doesn't identify me but it does report movements and actions hence the term "spy"

CYdoor

Quote:
Cydoor will sometimes query you by means of a registration form for demographic data (gender, age, interests, marital status, salary, area code, country, and education). We will not collect personally identifiable information such as name, address, or telephone number. All of this information is aggregated for the purposes of reporting to advertisers and ad sales organizations the performance of their ad campaigns, and to deliver content targeted to your interests.
Use of Cookies
According to the standards of the Internet advertising industry, third-party ad servers associated with our technology make use of cookies. Cookies, by default, are enabled in the browser, and the user can turn them off via the cookies disabling menu.

Webhancer

Quote:
All information collected by webHancer using the Customer Companion is anonymous - it cannot be tied to a specific individual. Examples of anonymous information that we collect are web page address, web page size, web page load time, web page completion state and network delay time. We do not collect or store any information that could be used to identify a person (name, street address, telephone number, email address, social security number, credit card numbers, etc.) Nor do we permit collected information to be correlated with other information to identify browsing habits of any specific individual (e.g. user IDs, passwords, search strings, etc.).
Simple fact it is still none of their bussiness. I like my privacy does this software actually violate it? Depends on how you look at it I guess? Some people think not because they don't collect personal information. Others "like me" flat out don't care I don't want ads that are personalized. And in most cases I don't want ads at all.
I respect your opinion Scyth and even agree to a point. But there remains a simple fact I don't want ads personal or not. I don't want my mouse movements monitored etc. That I take as an invasion of my privacy regardless of the degree. And if it wasn't collecting information "spying" they probably wouldn't need for me to accept a user agreement? All I want is an option to decline the software when installing another program!! And often times the 3rd party software "adware/spyware" has installed after I have aborted the install after reading the policy. Where did they ask for my permission in these cases??