View Single Post
Old 06-08-01, 02:32 AM   #2
eclectica

I use a program called "Goldwave" for recording with the sound card. One of the recording options on it is to "disable write cache". I find that with that option checked, I get poor results, so I don't check it. Apparently that option causes the data from the sound card to go directly to the hard drive, rather than going through the memory of the computer. So maybe you have a similar feature?

Another thing I noticed with that option checked, is that I wouldn't get problems if I set the right anticipated track length in the beginning. In other words, I would click to record a new wav file, and it would ask me how long I wanted the new one to be, and I had to enter in the time length of the file in advance. So if I was recording a ten minute song, I would have to enter in advance that I was recording a song of that length, and then it would prepare it on the hard drive by creating an actual 100 megabytes blank file. Then the writing would go smoothly, because it was already reserved and ready to go off of the hard drive. But if I recorded for example a ten minute song on the hard drive and set the anticipated song length as one minute, then I would get the clicking as the song went beyond the one minute range.

Maybe having too many programs open at once causes you problems. Or the recording program you use may not be so good. If you're interested in Goldwave, let me know, and I'll send you a copy by e-mail.