View Single Post
Old 12-06-06, 07:06 AM   #8
~XIX~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl

The monopoly for the copyright holder to exploit an aesthetic work commercially should be limited to five years after publication. Today's copyright terms are simply absurd. Nobody needs to make money seventy years after he is dead. No film studio or record company bases its investment decisions on the off-chance that the product would be of interest to anyone a hundred years in the future. The commercial life of cultural works is staggeringly short in today's world. If you haven't made your money back in the first one or two years, you never will. A five years copyright term for commercial use is more than enough. Non-commercial use should be free from day one.

ok, it isn't TG's quote, she quoted it from elsewhere...

I disagree... I'm sitting on tunes up to a decade old, and they are not limited by their style, and they haven't been made commercially available. There is a massive difference between 5 years from completion to 70 years after death. The 70 years after death is like a 'just in case' clause... if some guy dies at 30 surely his family should be able to get some benefit from his work if it is commercially successful after his death? If not I feel you're really opening the floodgates to some very seedy and unfair business practices.

Anyway, there are plenty of examples of music making far more money a number of years after release. I can think of two off the top of my head straight away... Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go... David Bowie - Space Oddity. Both of these examples are more than 5 years too... the Bowie tune was 6, the Clash one was something like 16.

Dunno where u quoted that from TG, but it is bollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts
i'm a dj. i can play shows all night long, no problem, but i can't sell copies of those shows if they contain copyrighted material and of course they're stuffed with it. people try to pay me for copies and i have to turn them down, it’s too bad. even there if i pushed it i might be able to work out a deal and get the proper licenses…who knows? - js.
I know... and you can, but as u said, u need to aquire the licences.

This doesn't happen with pop music generally because the licences would cost more than you would ever make, but certainly in the world of house and techno music it happens.

Also depends how much money you're trying to make out of it... there isn't much to stop u gigging to 300 people and selling ur own mix cds... it's unlikely you'd be caught if u were smart enough.
~XIX~ is offline   Reply With Quote