View Single Post
Old 31-08-02, 03:46 AM   #9
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink Re: P2P Users - Let's win this battle (fairly and legally)!

Hi FairP2P and welcome to Napsterites!

Quote:
Originally posted by FairP2P
So what should we do? Our plan should be to engage people into buying CDs of artists or bands they like after they checked them out through freeP2P networks (in order to make the authorities to see that we're not just thieves), engage in the politics (gain congressmen support?) and take legal actions (when financially posiible).
Political and legal actions are certainly valid avenues in the battle against the copyright nazis. It is important to lessen the political power of the content industry puppets, and in the long run preferably replace them all with political candidates who are more committed to serve people instead of corporations.

As for buying CDs from artists whom we have sampled through free p2p channels, I am not so sure if that is the right thing to campaign for. Buying directly from artists and small non-abusive indie labels is fine for me (if you have the money to do it) but as for the big RIAA labels it will only mean more money and longer life for them. It would probably be much more beneficial for the whole music scene if the big content conglomerates would break down into smaller pieces due to economical reasons so that more artist-friendly labels could start to dominate the market.

I also think that it is very difficult to get people to change their CD buying habits through any campaigns. Those who have the money and like to get their music easily will probably keep buying CDs from their favorite artists (RIAA or not), and those who have learned the free way and established good online sources will invest their entertainment money (if they have any) to other things like more bandwidth, better computing gear, DVDs and games.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote