View Single Post
Old 21-07-02, 08:33 PM   #11
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by pgs92109
Hmmm...interesting.
1) Alphabeater and Jack, do you have cable modems or other internet access such that you are always online and succeptible to hacking? I thought the main benefit of my firewall is when I am online, but not using my computer for anything.
i have an adsl line pgs92109, had it for almost two years.

my choice of firewalls isn't optional. i'm not sure i could do what i do and have one. i could stop doing this but i don't want to. i pay for the bandwidth so that i can fully exploit all the net has to offer and i'm resigned to doing a full restore if i'm compromised. by not running a wall (skinny dipping ) i can do anything with any program that's net connected and do it immediately. i don't need push requests for files or any other trick that tries to work around barriers. i just load it and go. having said that i realize i may be more vulnerable than i'd be if i had a firewall, how much more vulnerable is a matter of opinion, but i accept that i am to some degree or another. there has even been the rare time when it "felt like" someone was inside my machine...who knows? i won't keep personal records on my pc by any means (phone and credit card numbers etc) and there are other precautions one can take as alluded to by alphabeater, even simple ones like disconnecting when there’s no reason to be online. in any event i haven't done a restore since i purchased this machine i'm using at the moment. i bought it in jan 2001, a year and a half ago, and that's not bad.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote