View Single Post
Old 14-07-02, 10:50 PM   #5
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by napho

Whenever I want the latest albums I just go to one of many sites and get whatever is current. For older music or singles P2p's are so convenient. The days of anticipating a highly touted album seem to be over.
Quote:
Originally posted by theknife

Thank god the days of getting burned by some band with a good single and a bad album are over...
Quote:
Originally posted by alphabeater

i see more, hear more, and buy about the same amount as i always have. before, i bought my favourites and didn't get to experience the rest, and now i still buy my favourites but get to experience as much of the rest as i'd like to as well.
i'm in complete agreement. the amount of music i’m now hearing that’s new to me has exploded in the last two years, and i'm a dj, it's not as if i'd been in a desert song-wise. i’ve always been surrounded by new stuff, promo copies etc but getting 25,000 mp3s in six months showed me once and for all how truly vast the musical world is and how no matter how far i thought i traveled in it, i barely ever left home.

it's really changed everything. for instance at a large show i did today (10,000 people), another dj introduced himself to me and said half joking, "cds - what are those?" (wise ass). he went on to say that he now does all his gigs with two laptops - no cds at all - and brings 30,000 songs to every show! that's a massive amount. if you went back just a year the most material a dj would carry would have been 600 cds or apx 7500 cuts, most of which would've been filler from the albums, so you'd be lucky to show up with 1000 great songs. but since you'll only play 60 songs during most shows (15 an hour), having 15x more than needed was fine. not anymore. the day's fast approaching when people requesting even fairly obscure material will be more than a little put out if you fail to have it. after all, they’ll have it at home on their pcs, laptops and nomads. to put that 30,000 figure into perspective, the average radio staion only rotates 1000 songs during an average month.

it reminds me a bit of when vcrs first came out and people realized they could watch tv when they pleased and not just when a programmer put on a show, and how liberating that was. of course with the music you own you can listen to it when you want but the analogy works for exposure. now you realize you don’t need the labels and the clone fms to expose you to new musical trends and ideas. you just need the will to dive onto some ones’ hard drive and sample the platter.

makes me wonder what kids are going to do about their musical identity with so much different stuff around. my friends daughter (and her friends) all dig these goofy compilations called NOW, as in NOW 6 and NOW 7 etc. when a new NOW comes out they all have to have it and they listen to it for days like it’s the new britney, or insync (or name a band), but it’s just a compilation of different bands! with no continuity and no singular identity. when I saw that last fall I knew something fundemental had changed.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote