View Single Post
Old 14-07-02, 05:30 PM   #3
alphabeater

i'd use p2p for more things, but i'm picky.

with movies, i simply will not stand for any cam version of one. they're awful. so that usually limits me to older (out on dvd, at least) movies. i don't think of it in terms of cost, though - i usually see 'famous' films that i've not yet seen, and that have been on free tv channels but i missed them for some reason. i wouldn't have really bothered with them at all if it hadn't been for p2p.

if it's a newer movie, then to be honest i'm far more likely to pay the pound (£1 per day for dvds at my local video hire store) and watch it on my dvd player with a proper picture and surround sound. it's not worth the tradeoff - support my video hire store (they're not a chain, i like it in there) or wait a few days while kazaa chugs along and then watch a reasonable-but-not-great divx rip? exactly.

with cds, yeah, i'm certainly guilty of downloading eminem's new one (out of annoyance at those looped 'hook' mp3s that were put about, mainly), but apart from that i rarely download whole albums. either the rest of the album is not worth bothering with, or it's an artist that i like enough to actually go out and buy their cd, just for the sake of owning an original (hard disks fail, and cd-rs seem less reliable and on top of that somehow just less satisfying than owning the proper cd).

most of my downloading is for listening at the computer while i do something else, or occasionally for burning compilations for friends if they happen to ask.

to answer the question - how have my viewing/listening habits been changed by p2p? i see more, hear more, and buy about the same amount as i always have. before, i bought my favourites and didn't get to experience the rest, and now i still buy my favourites but get to experience as much of the rest as i'd like to as well.
alphabeater is offline   Reply With Quote