View Single Post
Old 08-07-02, 02:03 AM   #9
pod
Bumbling idiot

Nanook, the busy message that always comes up is not WinMX's fault. Well, I don't think it is. It always comes up when using OpenNAP servers, never on the WPNP network. It's well known OpenNap servers often don't like Winmx users (for unfounded reasons may I add). On the WPNP network you either don't have to enter que (it's done automatically), or you just do it once.

The autoresponder question has been answered I see. The only problem with it is when you have it set up to screen annoying calls (so to speak), and have a conversation going, the autoresponder will always kick in on every message to/from the person you're talking to. I keep seeing this 'chat' feature that I never seem to get around to using which is supposed to get around this problem.

I don't know anything about weird que numbers, never seen them. Some kind of a firewall issue?

Don't know what causes transfers to disconnect right away. I've seen it happen, but there are usually enough sources around to not have to worry about it. Now, I do see a number of people cancelling their downloads from me, and I know I'm not doing it.... soo....

As for actual tricks of the trade? Learn what the colours mean (there are only 3 or 4 important ones on the search/browse/download pages). Use 'retry/find sources' on slow downloads every so often to find more sources. The good thing is that chances are any new sources will start transferring right away, seeing as they're new and their queue might not be filled up yet.

Don't worry about 'hung' downloads, where you're downloading from lots of sources, and all of a sudden the transfer seems to stop dead, usually towards the end of the file. This will fix itself after a minute or two.

Also, if all the sources give you a 'file mismatch' error, and you just can't finish the file, you'll just have to retry the file again from start, and make sure the last 10% (on, say, a regular sized mp3 file) comes from only 1 source. Seems that in Winmx, unlike others (edonkey notably) the files do not have to be exactly the same, so sometimes the sources get into a conflict. Call it a 'corrupt chunk', in edonkey lingo.

Happy downloading.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote