Old 29-06-02, 07:29 AM   #12
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default yea but

Quote:
Originally posted by 111110101011

No doubt there is... like everywhere...

---

Now, to explain the fact that soulseek people did not appreciate the coming of AG people, it is mainly because for a long time we were bothered with a server problem, we had to find a way to host more people. As soulseek was first "totally centralized" and the traffic was too much important, until recently hosting so many people wasn't possible. Nir (soulseek's developper) had made soulseek using a semi-decentralized network and apparently all goes well.
So soulseek users were affraid that some Audiogalaxy users who don't share their interest in electronic music would lead soulseek to its end, making soulseek another Kazaa and thus soulseek would have lost all its interest although there is zillions of other P2P that NEED users and can host many people without any trouble. Some other users argue that they are affraid RIAA will decide to shutdown soulseek because of the bring of mainstream artists.
For thoose who still dont understand, It is as if all the boards on internet were closed, except napsterites.net. People would go on napsterites.net and post topics totally unrelated with P2P in order to continue what they did elsewhere.
Soulseek represented an "utopic" vision of the file sharing, imagine a single server which can handle a community sharing a COMMON interest (thematic servers), a server where we can find all what we want (even underground music) with a single computer used as server (not a hundred servers as for napster or audiogalaxy). Soulseek could have been a Direct Connect HUB... I still don't know why DC HUB administrators aren't creating more "specific" rules concerning what they share.

PS: Sorry for my english.
What I found so disconcerting was the sheer hostility and anomosity of the Soulseek users posting on their [public] board!

That in and of itself was either enough to turn off potential new users (who perhaps MAY have had files to contribute to SS) but also to folks whose fuses were already shortened by AG and the RIAA or those "homeless" ones checking out something new.

ICK! I'm glad I'm not into electronic music............to think that SS was the ONLY option left to me............I think I'd elect to "pass on it".

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote