Thread: kazaa too slow
View Single Post
Old 25-06-02, 03:45 PM   #19
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

spstn : I agree that you can never be too paranoid with these things! It might be a good idea to try what JackSpratts recommended above (taking note that trojans, spyware, virii, RealOne & malware in general could be classified as 'bandwidth using applications.) I'm sure, being the healthy paranoiac that you are, your firewall & other system tools should provide all the detail you need!

It might be fine for your circumstances to avoid using FTA if it's causing problems, although I've never experienced any myself. The latest KL 1.7.1 & Speedup use less than 5Mb RAM on my win2K pro box running almost 24/7, which is far better than with previous versions! You have to remember though, that Kazaa in particular is somewhat buggy & may be causing conflicts with other software in your situation. FTA/Speedup is also a "hack", which is therefore more likely to cause problems than something which is integrated into Kazaa or based on freely-available Kazaa source code.

Another thing I'd suggest, after performing some tests, is to uncheck that setting for 'unlimited bandwidth when computer is idle' or something similar. It can cause problems for many if left checked, especially those on asynchronous lines (such as yourself) as it maximises your upload traffic when you're away from your pc or Kazaa sees your pc as idle (no mouse/keyboard activity in x numer of seconds/minutes.) Also, the supernode setting is sometimes not altered until you restart Kazaa & sometimes not until rebooting! These 2 factors could both be having an effect on your speeds.

Another 2 possibilites : your supernode connections are bad (can be edited in the registry or reset by reconnecting) or unstable & your settings for 'item delay' & 'refresh delay' under FTA could need some tweaking (i.e. higher delay values might improve performance.) If there are a lot of partial .dat's in your d/l folder, this could also be a reason as FTA can quickly start all of them (ie. it ignores your predefined traffic limits.) This is why I use a hex editor (Hex Workshop) to view my .dat files & archive them so I only have 4 files in the folder at once. I usually have 2 larger, common files & 2 rarer files. This is ideal for me, but it might be different in your situation.

To sum up, it's best to play with options until you find what's right for you!
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote