View Single Post
Old 25-06-02, 02:30 PM   #13
pod
Bumbling idiot

Well, agreed, I don't like the new bandwidth settings at all, but it's better than nothing, or some other solutions. Also, being a secondary is really sucky for searches. A secondary doesn't get very many connections, and even a simple primary will have at most 5-6 network connections. My well connected work machine is using primary and the highest network speed setting, and I easily gets up to 15 network connections. Believe me, the search difference is AMAZING. I've seen search results with 50+ sources, whereas my home machine would barely get any hits at all.

BTW, the easiest way to get rid of freeloaders is to unshare your 'popular' (as in radio play) files. I find virtually all freeloaders are downloading either 'moby - we are all made of stars' or 'no doubt - hella good'. They're probably one-time users, just checking things out.

As for fragmentation, I don't think that's a problem. There is room enough for all kinds of P2P apps. 2.6 users will eventually switch to 3.2 as more and more do so. 3.x will migrate to the latest 3.x even quicker, as they're already converted to WinMX 3. eDonkey is now going serverless, which is shitty because I probably won't have enough bandwidth/cpu to run both eDonkey and WinMX at the same time. And really, that's the only problem with this 'fragmentation'.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote