View Single Post
Old 23-06-02, 10:45 AM   #9
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I would liken this move to surcharges on ATM's. Nobody likes to pay extra to access their own money, which is why there is a movment to outlaw surcharges. Until that happens some banks are saying that they'll refund the surcharges that other banks charge, and needless to say they're getting a lot of attention for it. I think the large used CD stores like Media Play would do well to refund the double royalties to their customers (if that ever happens).

But I think the fundamental issue is the fact that a non-governmental body is charging sales tax. That pisses me off because the record industry has only as much authority to levy taxes as the federal government gives them, which means the government isn't doing its job. The Constitution is supposed to guarantee representation with taxation, but the RIAA doesn't have any consumer representatives, elected or otherwise. And on top of that none of the revenue goes towards public works or social programs. It's too bad we can't all cry Revolution and storm Hollywood with armies of militia, we have to be civil and fight an economic war.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote