Thread: kazaa too slow
View Single Post
Old 23-06-02, 07:14 AM   #13
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Default Re: Speedup.exe: It's a No Go here

Quote:
Originally posted by spstn
I stopped using speedup.exe altogether. I'm using an ADSL line and serving as a supernode. When I installed KL 1.7.1 I had 3 downloads going averaging 200 Kbs between them. After starting speedup.exe the speed was cut in half across the board. It wasn't the initial drop to start the search, it kept the speed down for more than 5 mins. When I stopped speedup.exe the downloads went up again to normal speed (roughly doubling it).

I tried several times, with different settings, and for about three days, and always the result was the same: the download speed went down and the cpu usage trhough the roof.

I now try "find more sources..." manually every 10 minutes or so, and just highlighting one download will refresh the search for "more sources" for ALL downloads. I don't know why just one refresh all but it happens time after time.

But the worse off is people uploading from me. Before these speed tools became popular uploads speeds between 5-15 Kb were the norm. Now 1-2 Kb is the norm and every blue moon I see someone getting over 5 Kb. Another difference I noticed is that before I could download from people from Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand & France to name a few places. Now that's long gone, and I suspect that bandwith clogged with millions of frenetic requests for "more sources" have something to do with it.

So those of you having no problems count your blessings, but someone whith dial-up and really sorry download speeds should consider turning speedup.exe off and see what happens.

Too much of a good thing can be bad. Or may be judicious & balanced use can't go hand to hand with the intrinsic nature of file sharing.
a very excellent post spstn. thanks for sharing your results with the speedup.exe

as for

But the worse off is people uploading from me. Before these speed tools became popular uploads speeds between 5-15 Kb were the norm. Now 1-2 Kb is the norm and every blue moon I see someone getting over 5 Kb. Another difference I noticed is that before I could download from people from Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand & France to name a few places. Now that's long gone, and I suspect that bandwith clogged with millions of frenetic requests for "more sources" have something to do with it

i think it was 'wanker' who originally brought up the notion that unlimited searching might bogg down the network and is the reason it kazaa hasn't implemented it.

i think this is a valid assertion by 'both gentlemen' spstn and 'wanker' but still its a hypothesis (educated guess) so it has to remain classified as a 'theory' as it's yet unproven just like

the 'theory of evolution' is still a theory even though its widely accepted by many as fact doesn't necessarily make it so. but i think its safe to say that this might be the case with what you are experiencing spstn.

as for Another difference I noticed is that before I could download from people from Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand & France to name a few places. Now that's long gone

i don't know enough about the network to fully understand how it works....so i can't comment other than to say i'm guessing that 'supernodes' (the computers making the search requests) are limited to certain geographical areas now....i guess this is for speed? but maybe it isn't working out quite like planned?

After starting speedup.exe the speed was cut in half across the board. It wasn't the initial drop to start the search, it kept the speed down for more than 5 mins. When I stopped speedup.exe the downloads went up again to normal speed (roughly doubling it).

that does not bode well...maybe some of your bandwidth was being allocated for constantly searching or querying the network and it detracted from the bandwidth allocated for your uploads/downloads? in this case i would say its not worth using it and to not use it.

personally for myself i no longer use such tools as kazaa (latest versions) seem to handle the search requests much more efficiently than in the past when programs like this were needed.

someone mentioned something about how the edonkey-bot almost killed the network? perhaps a once great innovation has outlived is usefulness now to the network (sorry AYB)

But the worse off is people uploading from me. Before these speed tools became popular uploads speeds between 5-15 Kb were the norm. Now 1-2 Kb is the norm and every blue moon I see someone getting over 5 Kb.

its possible you may have a influx of dialup users connecting to you as there are many who use the fasttrack network....its an understandable frustration for broadband users however i've found there to be much value and virtue in patience....especially if you are looking for something rare and someone with lowbandwidth or several 'someones with low bandwidth have it'

if you are patient and can handle the less than 5kbs download speeds you will eventually get it if you don't let the low speed throw you off..but remember this is purely p2p now and your dowload speeds are affected by the upload speed of the person's bandwidth that you connect to.

I'm sorry you don't always get phenomenal results from the download side of it...but please don't feel like you are not helping the network by allowing uploads to the lower bandwidth people...there are a lot of good people with poor connections...but its understandable you want to distribute content to the higher bandwidth folks first as it seems to get the content out on the network faster. admirable.

Finally, this:

I'm using an ADSL line and serving as a supernode.

is the most important part of your post to me...

Spstn....what have you noticed while functioning as a supernode?

i've heard that while functioning as a supernode that some sort

of index files from all the computers that are connected to you

on your 'node' (network....part of the LAN or WAN) that contain

a list of the files the computers that are connected to you (as

you function in the capacity of a supernode) are sharing and also

their search requests.

Have you noticed any such file indexes on your computer

and if so what format do they take? are they in .dat format or

do they have a different extension?

and also you said you are functioning as a supernode...how

do you know you are really doing this? or are you taking it

on blind faith that you are by merely clicking the check box or

not clicking the checkbox for 'do not function as a supernode'.

what i'm asking is are you assuming yourself a supernode because you have a fast connection and did not click to not function as one?

or can you really tell some difference...such as a set of file indexes being uploaded toyour computer which from what i've read on both the fasttrack and kazaa sites is supposed to happen if you are functioning as a true supernode but i've

personally not seen this after having finally figured out how the

network works...i lost my broadband so i do not get to test this

for myself as i am dialup so anything you can offer me would

be helpful in helping me to understand more about the much

misaligned and understood value of being a 'supernode'

Thanks, my apologies for the length of this reply.

-Harbynger

butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote