View Single Post
Old 16-06-02, 02:36 AM   #7
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Default Mouti-sourcing?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazer

Is this really a bug or is it simply what uploaders see when they're part of a multi-point download?
That is a possibility, as in the old Morpheus and laterly Kazaa days you find uploaders takings stop & start somewhat randomly, like you I take that to be the multi-sourcing working.

It certainly works well from the download point of view, 6 users with the same file, most with long queues, contribute little if any at all to the download, but as soon as one becomes available it gets included in the source, and things really fly.

I have NOT noticed the reported speed differences in version 3.2, they certainly were an issue in an early version 3 beta.

There are discrepancies that have been notifed to WinMx beta test team, that as yet have not been explained or cured.

The uploader file sizes reported are always 6 bytes more that the REAL file size, maybe this is a special added tag (hash) that is discarded on receipt, as all downloaded files report identical sizes when complete.

This problem is on the OPenNap servers, which for continuity between 2.6 and 3.0 I maintain, as the only way to interface old MX users with New.

I would agree with the comment made about few users, but again like the previous commenter, once 3.2 was fired up and connected, a flood of uploaders appeared, all anxious, no doubt to try out their NEW toy..

Sadly a flawed toy, STILL: PLAY (right click on up/down screen file) still does not work, you have to use OPEN, reported way back early in the beta 3.0 series, still not corrected.

Another serious fault (though it could be with the uploader?) continued attempts at uploading the same file, reported complete but vastly larger than REAL size by a power of 10 i.e 87,000,000 reported for 8,000,000 which I presume causes the uploaders client (usually Mx 2.6) to think the file is incomplete so it retrys again and again, until you kill the connection or unshare the file to stop it.

Anyone else noticed this, if so did you report it to WinMx ?

More anon no doubt, Yes I finally got a real 3.2 nearly 10 hours after it was announced...

Snark...
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote