View Single Post
Old 04-06-02, 09:47 AM   #3
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Quote:
Originally posted by Pie-Rat
Can you define "community" better?

If you mean all the features like instant messaging, sharing themed files, etc., then i think it's irrelevant, because the 95%+ of users of these networks are newbies just out to download the latest songs or whatever... they give a crap for "features" which will bring them closer together to other users of the network.

Then there's the old 80/20 rule, which states that 80% of the P2P traffic comes from 20% of the users... and if those users are the super community users, then yes... it could have bearing on the communities success.
i was thinking about the old "kazaa community" and neighborhood i.e., "the message board" there before Sharman took them down....how important is it to the success of a client to have some way for users to interact with each other and that also goes for what we have here at the Napsterites forum...i think this might have originally been just for the Napster client but lately has involved to embrace a full range of p2p clients.

what i'm asking is do you prefer and impersonal p2p client where you can download anything you want without any interaction with others users (you know like a "chat" area or instant messaging) or do you think the ability to communicate with the ones you are downloading from to be important (and also a helpful forum for sharing ideas is it essential to the success of a new client?)
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote