View Single Post
Old 31-05-02, 02:40 PM   #17
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

I may not have posted what I meant in point 7! I shouldn't have used the word "deny". What I meant was, that SN's should be able to decide what files are maintained in its database. For example, I could 'host' anime episodes, pix & mp3's for example. If a standard peer wanted software, I would redirect them to another SN with full access to that content. However, if a user only wanted anime-themed content, I'd only search my peers & any other SNs that have similiar content. This wouldn't mean that any peer is banned as such & in this way it might improve network performance if you share a diverse collection of files (you connect to even more SNs) as well as limiting search traffic of those who want specific content. It might also provide a filtering mechanism before the search results are returned. I don't think the direct connect style of private, invitation-only, or strict-requirement groups will work. These "groups" would remain public, but it should be done in a transparent way. If my db idea were implemented, a SN could also link to specific files hosted by other SNs without content preferences, thus limiting search results to specific files only. This would be extremely difficult to do, I know, but it would be a nice feature.

Another limitation of the current interface, is that you can't highlight multiple files (shift + ctrl functionality like in explorer?) in the traffic view. It can be tedious to cancel a multitude of files, which were queued with only one click!

I apologise for the smilies. I just got carried away I suppose and didn't realise this was a problem?!?
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote