View Single Post
Old 27-05-02, 02:02 PM   #11
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Screwy

Quote:
originally posted by the aptly named Wanker

Can you see anything that violates privacy in these scripts? I went through them and all I see is ad showing code that chooses between multiple alternatives: 3D ad, regular image ad, etc
hi, wanker...apparently you don't understand what a CLSID value is or a VBScript code means...so i will explain to you a little more thoroughly but not too throughly as to be exorbant.

okay here is the deal in what i find wrong in the above....its been a condition for kazaa to stay on download.com that they must have a better disclosure policy concerning bDE and altnet.

Bdeprojector is not simply just an ad-serving mechanism or device it is one of the core components of Altnet which if you look around and do a search for on Cnet.com news articles you will find that bdeprojector and altnet will install on your computer capabilities which allow others to use your resources.

Here is what i find wrong...Currently with version 1.7 of kazaa (a GREAT, FANTASTIC version by the way) is that BDE is OPTIONAL however what strikes me as violating your privacy is that when you use the kazaa program it defaultly opens to the kazaa homepage where the above scripts check for the prescence of BDE projector on your machine and if your security settings in Microsoft Internet Explorer are not set up to disable the execution of scripts then bDe is installed surreptitiously (which means "without you knowledge") almost automatically.

For what a CLSID value is search for it on Google for an example of CLSID in action try deleting your REcycle Bin from your desktop or renaming it...the Operating system won't let you..why is this? because of a CLSID (a numerical value attached to the REcycle bin) which won't allow you to delete it and in some cases will recreate whatever you delete without first deleting the CLSID value associated with the program/shortcut/folder/etcetera you
want to remove.

Hope this clarifies things you a little better.

-Harbynger
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote