View Single Post
Old 24-05-02, 05:37 AM   #17
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Hi John, and thanks for your nice feedback.

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnDoe345
I don't believe the current technology can properly distinguish between a real sharer or a leech sharing fake files.
Precisely. You can share thousands of files on WinMX but throttle your upload bandwidth so that you give out less than a slow dial-up. Or you can set your max uploads to 1 and start all your uploads manually on trading basis. There are so many ways to fool a system that is based on apparent willingness to share. The only reliable measure for sharing is one measuring sharing that has actually happened.

Quote:
There should be an incentive to share. A complete block out of non sharers like in some programs only alienates non-sharers and does not properly give them reasons to change.
That is so. I remember well my own first Napster experiences. I had no shared files to begin with (gush I hardly knew what an mp3 file is! ) and like so many others I was just giving a try to this new exciting software that promised to deliver digital music for free. Should I have faced a hostile environment where my leeching would have been strictly rejected I might not be here today writing so enthusiasticly about p2p. But I encountered sharing and friendliness instead and my own willingness to share grew naturally from my gratitude to all these nice people that were giving me good music with no strings attached. This is how the network should receive newcomers to become succesful. Things should work smoothly enough even for those starting from square one to motivate them to stay and gradually to contribute to the network. And the sharing incentives should start working from that basic level onwards, providing access to better bandwidths and even more content.

Quote:
I wonder what the world would be like...
John. I think I'll leave the world for others to control and settle for just being the mistress of the Forum Dungeon.... thanks anyway!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote