View Single Post
Old 19-04-02, 01:08 PM   #8
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Where cable modem companies screw you over is from the cable modem box itself. If you are planning to be a long time cable subscriber then it would be better to buy your modem, but definitely not from them. You'll get a much better deal from buying it from a third party vender. For example, my cable company was asking $200 or $10 a month. I found the same exact modem on Amazon.com for $100. Although, I've been told that you don't have to use the same modem as your cable company's so you can find even cheaper or better ones.

I've had my cable service for about over a year now so buying the modem box is already saving me money in the long run.

Quote:
"They never guaranteed us a set speed, so no one could complain about the loss,"
I guess my cable company was smart in this area. From the start they advertised only modest download and upload speeds. Usually I get better speeds then they advertise but if it ever does go down then they can easily say that they never guranteed more then the speeds that they have stated. They have also specifically said that speeds may vary. Talk about covering their arse Even so, I would be pretty annoyed if my cable speeds dropped tramatically.

Quote:
by pod
They can't provide T1+ levels of speed for $40/month to everyone who wants. Those days are over.
I agree. Broadband providers where counting on a lot more users switching over from 56k. Since there hasn't been there is now an offset in financial cost with regards to their huge investment in the providing the broadband infrastructure.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote