View Single Post
Old 10-04-02, 02:34 PM   #7
Smoketoomuch
freak

Adware... I don't know... Spyware: NEVER. But then, sometimes the borderlines between the two are vague. If it were the condition for filesharing to let Cydoor and Aureate to operate on my puter, I'd say: fine, I'm willing to compromise that much. BUT! The problem is, there is never only one small Cydoor and Aureate prog. The problem is that these guys don't want you to know what is on your puter. I mean if their business were transparent to the user, we would be INFORMED how exactly these work, and we would have a choice to decide (which we don't have as long as we don't know what happens when we press that yes button) than I'd say OK. But we all know that this is not how it works. We know that Cydoor (despite the fact that now it is not considered spyware) had its own agenda, and they were forced to modify their prog. only after it was found out how it works and because of bad publicity.

So I say that I will never let adware or spyware on my puter, simply because I'm not naive to believe these guys anymore - you can never know what happens when you give your consent to Cydoor or Aureate. Are you sure when you press yes, that it will be only these that you get installed, or that you can uninstall them any time you want (and not with Ad-aware, but with the uninstall option), and during their presence on your puter they won't install other "additional" components, or would not display an ad in which the install button is carefully concealed as a close button, or whatever. As long as I'm not 100% sure that none of this happens I will say: NO (which will be forever perhaps, since I don't believe that this can be regulated or any government is willing to regulate it for pure benevolence, that is, even if they would be willing to regulate it they would use the opportunity to pass legislation that would tighten control over the internet, saying that this is a necessity to prevent spywhere, to which I would say: bullshit.)