View Single Post
Old 09-04-02, 04:03 AM   #4
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Default Re: Buzz...

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeHunt
Buzz...thanks for the imput..I hope you are right..

..To my understanding there are 5 files that comprise Webhancer..sproder.dll is one of them.

It is a reporting file.

Why is it being bundled with a firewall program?

I would like to see the dust settle fully on this one.

This explanation raises more questions than it answers...
Damn, I had a large post all written and somehow, while double-checking one of the sites I was on, closed the browser without posting it...

I got my original info from Ad-aware while checking out the Norton CleanSweep cscore.dll > Comet Cursor issue.
(See my post above)

I have been reading several pages and excerpts from manuals that I found with google.com (sporder.dll)

The first site was cexx.org > Foistware/Spyware: WebHancer
About halfway down the page are instructions from WebHancer for uninstalling their program. On the list is the sporder.dll with an indication of a footnote below:
Quote:
* Note: This file (Service Provider Ordering DLL) may be installed by other applications as well. If in doubt as to what installed it, leave it alone or rename instead of deleting.
After more reading I have found that the file is used to help set the default Winsock 2 tcp\ip stack...
This function can be used by a firewall\proxy\adblocker program to redirect the URL request correctly...
(Also would help spyware\foistware\adware programs intercept your requests as well)

But yes, the file does have legitimate uses...
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote