Thread: Ogg vorbis...
View Single Post
Old 17-02-02, 10:04 AM   #3
Smoketoomuch
freak

I usually listen to a hungarian underground net radio called Tilos. You can stream them in 24kbs, 128kbs Mp3, and Ogg Vorbis. They say that the latter is their favorite non-profit format. I don't know exactly how mp3s work, but I know that Fraunhoffer no longer licenses its codec, and Lime for instance is not open source I believe. Ogg vorbis is. So to me its symphatic. I don't have very sharp ears, so honestly, I could not make out the difference, however, sometimes it seemed that ogg is somewhat better, but then, I not sure about this. One thing is for sure though. It is not worse than MP3, however, there is a chance you can listen to radio in ogg on ISDN, but you can't to 128kbs. MP3 stream. So it seems faster. Also, you can check their faq here: http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp

Ogg would not replace mp3 for a long time, perhaps never, but it is more and more supported - there is ogg plugin for all players now, and as I said, if you listen to net radios (trough shoutcast for instance), it delivers the same (or perhaps better?) sound quality as 128 mp3, but it is less demanding.