View Single Post
Old 27-01-02, 04:29 AM   #9
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by pgs92109
Does anyone have an updated list of file-sharing programs that place spyware on your computer? As I recall, it is as follows.

Spyware: Audiogalaxy, Bearshare

No spyware: WinMX, Morpheus, Xolox, Audiognome, File Navigator, Aimster, Napigator

Recently, I heard that Grokster, Limewire, and Kazaa place a "clicktillyouwin" trojan on your computer when you download them. Should these three apps be placed in the "spyware" category?

Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.
Kazaa 1.3.1. was bundled with 6 (!) spyware proggies - New.net, Onflow, WebHancer , msbb, TOPtext and Cydoor - some of which you could opt out successfully during installation. If you have had recent versions of Kazaa on your computer have a look at here for removal instructions.

Grokster has had at least eZula bundled to it so I would not recommend using it either.

From Salon's recent story The parasite economy:

"When you're skulking around the hidden recesses of someone's system, placing hidden software that captures activity and sends it home to the mothership, you have the capability to do anything," says Ray Everett-Church, a well-known privacy consultant. "This includes capturing every keystroke, reading every file. It could even modify your e-mail after you hit 'send,' adding or deleting things without your knowledge. You name it, [these programs] can be designed to do it."

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote