View Single Post
Old 11-01-02, 12:07 PM   #9
thinker
Ex-Singular

Cool

Deep Purple did "Smoke on the Water." It was about Frank Zappa's place at Montreux, Switzerland that got crispified.

I really wish I had time to list all the classic rock I would recommend for you, because I could literally type down thousands of titles. I will, however, throw some more albums out there.

After their least successful album to that point, Presence, Led Zeppelin released In Through The Out Door in 1979. It marked a resurgence after some tragic events for frontman Robert Plant and was paving the way for a Zep thrust into the '80s. It had multiple covers and premiered at No. 1 on both sides of the Atlantic. Unfortunately, drummer John Bonham would die an untimely death in September 1980 due to alcohol poisoning, and there would be no more Zep albums, save for Coda, a 1982 release which compiled some tracks which didn't reach earlier Zeppelin albums (for example, "We're Gonna Groove, which Zep performed live many times in the late '60s), along with some post-In Through The Out Door work. Tracklist for In Through The Out Door:
1. In The Evening
2. South Bound Saurez
3. Fool In The Rain
4. Hot Dog
5. Carouselambra
6. All My Love
7. I'm Gonna Crawl

Dire Straits - Dire Straits (1978) - includes "Down To The Waterline," "Sultans of Swing," "Wild West End."

Dire Straits - Communique (1979) - includes "Communique," "Lady Writer," "Where Do You Think You're Going?"

Dire Straits - Making Movies (1980) - includes "Tunnel Of Love," "Romeo And Juliet," "Expresso Love."

Dire Straits - Love Over Gold (1982) - includes "Telegraph Road," "Industrial Disease," "It Never Rains."

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms (1985) - includes "So Far Away," "Money For Nothing," "Walk Of Life."

Dire Straits - On Every Street (1991) - includes "Heavy Fuel," "My Parties," "Fade To Black."

Also, check out Dire Straits: Live At The BBC(1997? - performances from the late '70s/early'80s), Alchemy (1984), and On The Night (1993) for good live performances including at least a couple of tracks not on studio albums. Money For Nothing (1988) and Sultans Of Swing: The Very Best Of Dire Straits (1998) are compilations featuring studio and live tracks. On both of these you can find "Twisting By The Pool," which wasn't featured on studio albums.

The Police - Outlandos d'Amour (1978) - includes "Roxanne," "Can't Stand Losing You," "Be My Girl/Sally."

The Police - Reggatta de Blanc (1979) - includes "Message In A Bottle," "Walking On The Moon," "Does Everyone Stare."

The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta (1980) - includes "Don't Stand So Close To Me," "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da," "Canary In A Coalmine."

The Police - Ghost In The Machine (1981) - includes "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic," "Invisible Sun," "Spirits In The Material World."

The Police - Synchronicity (1983) - includes "Every Breath You Take," "King Of Pain," "Wrapped Around Your Finger."

Every Breath You Take: The Classics (1995) is a good compilation of The Police's greatest hits, and includes "Don't Stand So Close To Me '86" and "Message In A Bottle (New Classic Rock Mix)."
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote