P2P-Zone

P2P-Zone (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/index.php)
-   Peer to Peer (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Justin Frankel interview in Rolling Stone (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/showthread.php?t=18554)

TankGirl 22-01-04 06:46 AM

Justin Frankel interview in Rolling Stone

1 Attachment(s)
The World's Most Dangerous Geek

Quote:

"Things I've done are often interpreted as anti-record-industry," he says, "but it's really about empowering people."

In many ways, Frankel's future encapsulates the debate over the future of the Internet itself. Does it become just a distribution system for corporate product or more of a way to subvert that corporate control? For Frankel, subversion is in the eye of the beholder. "The question is," he says, "do you think people are ultimately good or bad? Do they want to do the right thing, or do they want to do what's good for them and fuck everyone else? I hope it's not the latter."
- tg :WA:

theknife 22-01-04 03:51 PM

great article:AP:

Quote:

Does it become just a distribution system for corporate product or more of a way to subvert that corporate control?
is that a trick question?:J:

Mazer 22-01-04 07:49 PM

I didn't know there Winamp 5 before. I'm playing with it now, it's pretty cool, much better than Winamp3.

pod 22-01-04 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by theknife
is that a trick question?:J:
Yeah, it's both. :TY:

theknife 24-01-04 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mazer
I didn't know there Winamp 5 before. I'm playing with it now, it's pretty cool, much better than Winamp3.
WinAmp 3 was a mess - the question is, is 5 better than 2.91?

zombywoof 24-01-04 10:25 AM

Mazer 24-01-04 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by theknife
WinAmp 3 was a mess - the question is, is 5 better than 2.91?
I'm starting to think so. It's a little bloated, not as bad as v3, but it still doesn't start as quickly as 2.91. The new skin is pretty slick with the integrated Vis/Video window, more like WMP, but it's detachable like 2.91. It tends to use a lot of memory (possibly even has a memory leak), but its cpu time is negligible on my machine. The new Signal Prosessing Studio is pretty spiffy, sorta like the AVS but for audio. I'll have to play with it and see what it can do. Internet TV works way better in v5 than in 2.91, buffer underruns don't cause that screeching deafening noise, though it still doesn't handle streaming video as gracefully as WMP. I've only played with the bundled skin so I don't know what else it can do, but from what I understand it's much more capable than the v2 series ever was (which means it't more complicated to make a skin so there won't be nearly as many available). So overall it has its share of cons, but I think it has a good deal of pros too.