P2P-Zone

P2P-Zone (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/index.php)
-   Peer to Peer (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Napsterites servers update (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/showthread.php?t=10370)

Snarkridden 07-04-02 12:55 PM

Napsterites servers update

Not an awefull lot to report, very little has happened to PommieNet, it still gets jammed up in 5 minutes after switch on, and goes on its own way merrily killing off NON & LOW sharers in favour of the BIG SPENDERS, once it gets full.

I tried upping the users to 60 but all that did was slow down everything to a snail crawl, 100% CPU thrashing most of the time.

It seems the only way to handle the crush is a faster PC, and this I am not really happy with, so the only option now is to limit the access to Napsterites and their friends by registering your nicks and passwords.

I have not investigated this option yet, but I know it is possible, I would like to know your opinions on this, as I'm sure a lot of you must have got kicked quite regularily.

The effect of this share prioritising is that the average share of users is around the 1000 file mark, which is twice that of most other servers, so from a sharing point of view, as TankGirl said, it shows that Napsterites are not leeches.

So do you want a server open to all, that supports leeches, small sharers, medium sharers and "big spenders" or one that makes available only the shares of your Napsterite friends?

Snark... :shk:

ssj4_android 07-04-02 06:19 PM

Maybe you should try a DC hub. Other than that, probebly a napsterites only.

relic 07-04-02 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ssj4_android
Maybe you should try a DC hub. Other than that, probebly a napsterites only.
i agree....simply put.

goldie 09-04-02 10:45 AM

Gonna have to let majority rule on this one ole buddy..........

I hate the idea of limiting a resource to anyone who willingly shares their hard drive.

But[butt],

OTOH - my buttocks R getting mighty sore from getting booted :SP:

OTR isn't as popular as movies and music.

I say, majority rules and I'll go with the flow whichever way it rolls!!

Everyone should be so lucky to have such a "problem" Snarkridden :tu:

:BP:

Editted for spelling typo.

JohnDoe345 09-04-02 05:39 PM

Quote:

Maybe you should try a DC hub
I agree what you are trying to do sounds more like a DC hub. Although, I don't have any experience in running a server or hub so it's up to you. DC hubs may give you better results. I'm sure you can just set the hub to no minimum requirements except that you need to be a registered napsterities member.

If you want to keep it as a WinMx server then I think having it a napsterites only server is the way to go. This way none of the napsterites would be kicked off because some leech is taking their spot.

thinker 09-04-02 11:19 PM

Hmmm...I may be out in the cold with a paltry 251 mp3s and jpgs combined. :\

Starting over hurt.

BuzzB2K 10-04-02 12:12 AM

Napsterites Only ??

Quote:

Originally posted by thinker
Hmmm...I may be out in the cold with a paltry 251 mp3s and jpgs combined. :\

Starting over hurt.

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnDoe345
...no minimum requirements except that you need to be a registered napsterities member... :tu:

thinker 11-04-02 01:49 PM

Both options have their positives and negatives. I thik I'll just resign myself to an imperfect server world.

ssj4_android 11-04-02 03:15 PM

What are the positives and negatives then?