P2P-Zone

P2P-Zone (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/index.php)
-   Peer to Peer (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Am I getting spoofed? (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/showthread.php?t=12369)

theknife 18-07-02 05:47 PM

Am I getting spoofed?

regarding recent stories of the industrial/entertainment complex's attempts to muddy the waters of P2P filesharing by releasing bad or dummy versions of content...

I just downloaded several files that were purported to contain the movie Blue Crush (a surfing flick that is scheduled for release in August). The file sizes looked about right but in each case, I received an error message from my media player (Zoom PLayer) "unable to create filters". Since I have never had problems playing anything with this media player, I'm wondering did I get spoofed or is this a legit error (and therefore fixable)?

StereoDeluxe 18-07-02 06:50 PM

I had a few unplayable movies until I installed this codec pack

Thanks napho!!

theknife 18-07-02 07:10 PM

ok...i d/l'd and installed the codec pack....now I no longer get the "no filter" message, but still no movie - it just runs black. (dimb question: does "installing the codec pack" involve anything more than opening the self-extracting download?)

what makes me suspicious about this particular movie is that the release date is about a month away...unusually soon for it to appear online...

greedy_lars 19-07-02 12:00 AM

its prolly a fake, uncompressed rgb frames
got a few like that, same deal black screen in wmp

go get virtualdub

install it, strart it, go

file
open
find the file you are wondering about
click ok or go or whatever
then click on file, and propertys

if it says uncompressed rgb, then some ass spoofed you

im having good luck with ones that say tmd lately

twinspan 19-07-02 09:39 AM

if you got those files off FastTrack (Kazaa, Grokster, iMesh) and they do turn out to be fakes, there's a Fakes forum at FastTrack Central.

people post the file size (in KB, as shown by Kazaa/Grokster) of the fake, so other users can avoid by comparing with their search results. (file names are too easy to change, but the file sizes of fakes are more permanent markers).

FTC's Fakes Forum

Fake Movie List I put together from all those posted.

db_ 19-07-02 10:46 AM

Has anyone checked out fasttrackmovies yet, seems a really good idea for checking which files are good or bad, although I don't know how upto date it keeps with the very latest of files on the network. Maybe sites like these will become ever more popular soon with the popularity of file hashing nowadays to identify files.

I was considering doing something similar (albeit on a very small scale) for movies available on the WinMX network, but probably won't tbh. Link

db

greedy_lars 19-07-02 06:45 PM

i dloaded a new cd for a buddy, and its stuff i dont really dig, so it was a favor, and my god, i couldent believe the amount of fakes i got. 15 tracks total, 5 or 6 i got fakes several times before i got a real track. a typical fake would start playing the song, then go silent for long long time, then maybe half a chorus then silent again. theres a hell of a lot of em out there all the sudden.

i bet the band did it.

pfft korn

BuzzB2K 19-07-02 08:53 PM

I was trying to locate a particular CD myself... Actually located all the tracks... I thought. Below is my post from FastTrack Central

Quote:

Re: Song In Your Head?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got a song that's been with me a couple of days -
"Buckcherry - On the Road Again" - a Kick-Ass cover of the old Willie Nelson song...

It's one of the tracks off the latest NASCAR Album - Crank It Up!
This one track was the only good one I found...
I found all of the tracks but all but this one were "looping spoofed files"
They all had entirely too much info in the file names...

like:
nascar_type-o_negative-_highway_star_recently!!!_(NOT_FAKE!!!)_.mp3
nascar-stained-_see_through_hot_brand_new!!_pre-release_.mp3