P2P-Zone

P2P-Zone (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/index.php)
-   Peer to Peer (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Strange thing when downloading a song (http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/showthread.php?t=20214)

emmy 05-09-04 02:52 PM

Strange thing when downloading a song

Ok, I know I'm not nuts here so can anyone explain what's going on:

I downloaded a song from Soulseek and it went into my "Received Files" (as it should) but when I renamed the file (to remove the unnecessary track number), it WENT AWAY! :con: I ended up downloading this song not once, not twice but three times and each time, it went away the minute I renamed it. I even searched my hard drive for it and it's not there. Can anyone explain what's going on? I've never encountered this and I've been getting songs all afternoon and this is the only song that's disappearing on me and my hard drive.

:con:

Dawn 05-09-04 03:11 PM

edit: moved

emmy 05-09-04 03:32 PM

Not a silly question at all seeing how I thought maybe that's what I did :o but when I renamed the file (after downloading it for a third time), I made sure I only did a 'rename' on the file and watched it carefully as the other 2 files that I downloaded were gone after I did a rename on them...and sure enough, this third file disappeared on me too (it's just this one song that I downloaded 3 times that's not staying after I rename the file, oddly enough).

I'm still baffled as to why it's not even showing up on my hard drive after doing a search for it. Even if I would have deleted it or moved it, it should show up in the new location or in the deleted folder but it's not. STRANGE I tell you! :con:

Dawn 05-09-04 03:36 PM

greedy_lars 05-09-04 04:07 PM

right click on one you havent renamed yet and go to propertys, what does it say. is it even an mp3?

emmy 05-09-04 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedy_lars
right click on one you havent renamed yet and go to propertys, what does it say. is it even an mp3?

Can't do that since each of those 3 files that I downloaded are all gone. :o

I've tried searching my hard drive for this song and even did a wild card search and still nothing. O'well, reckon it wasn't meant to be that I have THIS song on my hard drive. ;(

BTW: greedy_lars, it was an mp3 format since I make sure I only download those file extensions and also, I did get the chance to play the song via Winamp but like I said, the minute I renamed the file it vanished. I'm just finding this STRANGE that this one song is doing this but no biggie. Hopefully one of y'all will have this song for me to snatch? ;)

emmy 05-09-04 04:26 PM

Update:

Someone just gave me this file and I renamed it and woo-hoo, IT STAYED! :AP:

Freaky little thing though. O'well, thanks Dawn and greedy_lars for assisting me. And a big thanks to greedy_lars for the file. :W:

Dawn 05-09-04 04:30 PM

JackSpratts 05-09-04 05:19 PM

if bittorrent's college, soulseek is jr. high. there are no hash #'s on ss, for the simple reason there's no mutli-source downloading or swarming. it's just old fashioned centralised title caching, just like napster used to be, with direct one on one swapping, like waste is today. so you can call a file anything you want and put it up and it's ok with the program (but not with users, be advised). emmy, i've had files disappear occasionally too using soulseek (my favorite general app btw). it hasn't happened in months and i transfer wads down and up, but it has happened. i've never known why.

- js.

multi 05-09-04 09:13 PM

before rename copy those file somewhere else(desktop..ect) then try rename them ?

sure save you downloading them again..